Wednesday, 17 February 2016

My Introduction to the Keto Diet!

Over the years I've tried various diets to lose weight; general detoxing, juice plus, 5:2, slimfast, you name it, I've probably done it or something similar. In truth, all of these diets were pretty good in the short term, I lost weight and reached my goals.

Especially on the JuicePlus, I stuck at this for a couple of months and I lost 2.5 stone! However, due to how restrictive the JuicePlus lifestyle is, i.e. gluten, wheat, dairy and chemical free, it was hard to stick to and I eventually fell off the wagon, gained the weight back within 6 months and was heavier than I'd ever been (at least that is how I felt!).

Eventually I did lose the weight again, through general healthy eating, calorie counting - the weight was gone again before I knew it but as soon as I lost the 36lbs, I seemed to hit a brick wall and nothing, no matter how strict I was, could get me to drop anymore weight.

Now I know everyone says the usual polite 'you don't need to lose weight' but for my own confidence, I have a goal to reach, not a crazy one mind, I would just like to be on size smaller than I am so I can feel comfortable with myself.

I'd just about given up on healthy eating and resigned myself to having to get on the JuicePlus bandwagon again just for a kick start when one of my lovely work colleagues mentioned a diet that he would be starting.

As a body builder, he has to go through cycles of gaining weight and shredding weight (known as 'cutting'), in order to define the muscle that he has gained through 'gains'. Anyway, to shred the excess weight, he goes through a process called 'ketosis'.

Introducing, the 'Keto Diet', this diet consists of 10% carbs, 30% protein and 60% fat, yes FAT! Crazy right??!! This basically forces your body to takes its energy from the fats in your body, for example, the fats your body has stored, rather than the new carbs you consume normally. (Ratio of fat -protein-carbs can vary depending on the guidelines you're following and how experienced you are).

At first, I was a bit dubious about the whole process, I mean, it goes against everything we've told about losing weight but I've done some research and I have to say that the amount of blogs and advice I've seen about the lifestyles and results people now have as a result of the Keto Diet, was pretty impressive, so I decided to give it a go.

Since last Thursday I've been following the guidelines my colleague set for me and so far so good, the most difficult part I would say was having to learn to eat more, I usually barely eat one meal a day so jumping up to three meals was a hard adjustment, aswell as learning to fry my food instead of grilling it!

My days so far have consisted of scrambled egg and bacon for breakfast (yes, bacon!), a lamb steak or burger with buttery cabbage and mushrooms for lunch, then salmon/chicken and salad/veg for tea, also I've just started snacking on Almonds and these are delightfully delicious!

 My staple items so far, though I hope to discover more!

I also try to drink 3 litres of water per day, my Bobble Bottle is a life saver and filters water from any source so I never have to worry about buying a new bottle of water! Drinking water on this level is hugely beneficial for your metabolism so even if you don't give the Keto Diet a try, just doing this will make a big difference.

Now lets get to the interesting bit ....

Results so far;

After just 6 days, I've finally broken that barrier and lost 6lbs, this is like 1
lb a day and I'm already feeling fab about myself.

I've also measured inch loss and it turns out I've lost 2 inches from my stomach, 2 inches from my waist and 0.5 inch from each arm!


I'm really motivated now to continue my journey, shed the pounds and start to love my body, I'll be joing the gym over the coming days so I hope this will push my progress further and help me to make sure I'm toned in the areas where I lose the weight.

Wish me luck!!! I'll keep you updated on my journey :)

I'd love to hear if you've ever given the Keto Diet a go, how did ketosis work out for you? Do you have any tips for me? Share your results with me, let's motivate eachother!!! :)

1 comment: